Beans paruppu usili is a crumbled lentils combined with other spices and cooked beans. It’s a very popular dish in southern part of India where people make for weddings and on other special occasions. It goes well with rice and vatha kuzhambu or mor kuzhambu.
- Beans (finely chopped, 1 cup)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (split, 2 tsp)
- Toor Dal [Pigeon Peas] (split, 1 cup)
- Hing [Asafoetida] (cake, small)
- Mustard Seeds (1 1/2 tsp)
- Red Chilies (5)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (12 tsp)
- Curry Leaves (few, chopped)
- Coriander Leaves (chopped, as desired)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
- Wash and soak dal, red chilies and hing for an hour.
- Filter the water and grind the above three soaked ingredients with required salt to a coarse consistency.
- In a skillet add oil and mustard seeds.
- After the seeds splutter add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Wait for the dal to turn golden.
- Add the chopped beans and salt.
- Add little water and cook till they cook soft.
- Set aside the cooked beans.
- In the skillet add oil and the ground dal mixture.
- Cook for 25 minutes on a low flame.
- Cook till crisp and crumbled.
- Add the cooked beans and mix well.