Vermicelli kheer or Semiya payasam is a simple and delicious pudding made during the festival season. It can be served either hot or cold.
- Semiya [Vermicelli] (1/2 cup)
- Milk (Full cream, 2 1/2 cups)
- Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Saffron (Few strands)
- Cashews (halved, 10)
- Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Raisins ( 2 tsp)
- Ghee (2 tsp)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Soak saffron in warm milk.
- Melt ghee in a shallow skillet and add cashews. when it’s half done add raisins and sautee till golden.
- Set aside and in the same skillet add vermicelli.
- Sautee till there is a slight change in color.
- Add water and cook till it is soft.
- Add milk and boil till it is reduced to half.
- Add sugar cook till it dissolves.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron, and roasted raisins and cashews.
Step by Step pictures of the recipe:
- While roasting ensure vermicelli should be slight brown.
- Cook vermicelli in water rather than in milk.