Ribbon pakoda is a festival snack especially made during Diwali. This snack is made with many variations depending on the tradition of a household. It’s a simple recipe with a few ingredients.
Chickpea Flour [Besan] (1 cup)
Rice Flour (1/2 cup)
Red Chili Powder (1 tsp)
Asafoetida [Hing] (1/4 tsp)
Salt (to taste)
Butter (1 tbs)
Oil (to fry)
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Category: Snack \ Tiffin
- In a wide bowl add chickpea flour, rice flour, red chili powder, salt, asafoetida, and butter.
- In a pan heat oil and when it’s hot pour on the dry ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients well using your fingers.
- Add water gradually to make a soft dough.
- Place the ribbon mould and grease with oil.
- Take a small portion of the dough and make a cylindrical shape.
- Place the dough inside the snack maker.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet.
- Press the snack maker directly over the oil.
- Flip and fry pakoda till they turn crisp.
- Drain on a paper towel.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- The dough should be soft. Neither the dough should be too soft nor too tight. If the dough is hard it will be too hard to press the snack maker and pakoda will be hard too if the dough is too loose then it will absorb more oil.
- Keep the dough covered after the small portion has been taken out.
- The oil should be at medium high, if the heat is too low it will absorb more oil.
- When the sizzling sound stops pakoda should be taken out from the pan.
- Ribbon moulds are serrated and non-serrated. Anything can be used.