Lemon pickle differs from each state or even regions in India. This is the traditional south-indian style recipe with minimum ingredients. This can be eaten with rice, bread, upma and chapatis.
- Lemon (750 gm)
- Salt (7 tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (2 tsp)
- Oil (Sesame, 1/2 cup)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Red Chili Powder (1/4 cup)
- Methi [Fenugreek] Seeds (1 tsp)
- Hing (cake, 3-4 pieces or powder 1 tsp)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- Wash, dry and cut lemons into small pieces.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Rest for two to three days and mix every 24 hours.
- Add red chili and turmeric powder.
- In a shallow skillet add methi seeds and hing cakes.
- Dry roast till hing doubles and crisps up and methi seeds till red
- Grind to a fine powder and add along with the red chili powder and turmeric.
- In the same skillet add oil and mustard seeds.
- Wait for the seeds to splutter.
- Wait until the oil cools down.
- Add to the lemon mixture and mix well.
- Store in a clean, dry jar .
- Refrigerate once the pickle is done.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Instead of malta lemons lime or small Indian lemons can also be used.
- If the lemons are not juicy, extract juice from 4-5 lemons and add to the mixture before adding salt.
- After refrigerating the pickle take out the jar onve a week and mix well to avoid getting spoilt.
- It remains good for 6 months to one year.