Dal makhani is a popular North-Indian lentil recipe. This recipe is rich and very creamy if it’s cooked slowly it would further enhance the flavor and texture.
- Clove (1)
- Butter (4 tbs)
- Cardamom (2)
- Full Cream (4 tbs)
- Rajma [Red Kidney Bean] (1/8 cup)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (Whole, 1/2 cup)
- Coriander Leaves (chopped, fine, 4 tsp)
- Red Chili powder ( 2 tsp, Kashmiri)
- Kasuri Methi (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Tomato Puree (1 1/2 cup)
- Onion (chopped, fine, 1 cup)
- Ginger & Garlic (paste, 2 tsp)
- Green Chili (chopped, fine, 1)
Prep time: 8 hours
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 8 hrs 50 minutes
Cuisine: North Indian
Category: Lunch \Dinner
- Wash and soak urad and rajma for 8-10 hours..
- Pressure cook for 8-10 whistles. Check whther it’s soft.
- In a deep skillet melt butter and add bay leaf, clove and cardamom.
- Add chopped green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, and onion.
- Sautee till the raw smell leaves.
- Add tomato puree and cook till it reduces to half.
- Add red chili powder and salt.
- Add the cooked urad and rajma.
- Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Cook till they become creamy and thick.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Add full cream and butter. when the butter melts add kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
Step by step pictures of the recipe:
- Ensure both the dals are cooked soft.