Bisi bele bath is made with rice, lentils, tamarind, vegetables and spices. This can be served with fried papads, chips or roated potato.
- Tamarind (a gooseberry size)
- Rice (1 cup)
- Toor Dal [Pigeon Peas, split, 1/2 cup)
- Chana Dal (Chick Peas, split, 2 tsp)
- Dhania [Coriander] (seeds, 3 tsp)
- Coconut (grated, 5 tsp)
- Cinnamon (stick, small, 1)
- Clove (2)
- Cardamom (pods, 2)
- Red Chili (Kashmiri, 10)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Curry Leaves( few)
- Oil (10 tsp)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Shallot (1/2 cup)
- Carrot (1/4 cup)
- Beans (1/4 cup)
- Drumstick (1/4 cup)
- Potato (1/4 cup)
- Brinjal (1/4 cup)
- Peanut (2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Category: Lunch \ Dinner
For the spice mixture:
- Dry roast chana dal, dhania, cinnamon, clove and cardamom separately and set aside.
- Dry roast the grated coconut and set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet and roast red chilies and set aside.
- In the same skillet add shallots and curry leaves and set aside.
- Coarse grind all the above ingredients.
Bisi Bele Bath :
- Cook both rice and dal separately and set aside.
- Add salt and mash, mix both the rice and dal.
- Heat a deep skillet and add oil and shallots.
- Cook till they shrink half its size.
- Add brinjal, carrot, potato, beans and drumstick.
- Add salt and diluted tamarind pulp and turmeric powder.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- After vegetables are cooked add water if required.
- Add the rice-dal and ground spice mixture.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Add a teaspoon of ghee and serve hot.