Rava upma is one of the easiest, quickest breakfast recipes one can prepare in a jiffy. We can prepare upma with or without onions and vegetables can also be added if required to make it healthy.
- Rava [Semolina] (chopped, 1 cup)
- Onion (chopped, 1/2 cup)
- Chili (green, chopped, 3)
- Ginger (grated, 1 tsp)
- Oil (6 tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Urad Dal [Black Gram] (de-husked, split, 1 tsp)
- Chana Dal (Chickpeas, split, 1 tsp)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Lemon Juice (1 tbs)
- Salt (to taste)
- Curry Leaves (chopped, few)
- Cilantro (chopped, 2 tbs)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Breakfast \ Tiffin
- In a deep skillet dry roast rava for 3-4 minutes and set aside.
- In the same skillet add oil and mustard seeds.
- Wait for the seeds to splutter.
- Add urad and chana dal and sautee till they turn golden.
- Add chopped onions, ginger, green chilies and salt.
- Sautee till onions are cooked.
- Add ghee and roasted semolina.
- Sautee for 5 minutes and add water.
- Mix well and cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Step by step pictures
- The texture and the quantity doubles when rava is dry roasted and also roast in oil or ghee for few minutes before we add water.
- Since we add rava first and then water. The main advantage here is we avoid formation of lumps.
- While dry roasting the color of the rava should not change.